The Historic Minnie Cole House
McKee Properties is Entwined in Cashiers’ History
Our office, located on Highway 107 South, The Historic Minnie Cole House is one of the oldest buildings in Cashiers. A designated Cashiers Historical Society Heritage Property, it is named after Minnie Cole, the third child of Elizabeth Bryson. Both women served as Cashiers Valley Postmaster — about 50 years apart.
The home can be traced back to 1875, when Elizabeth purchased 225 acres in Cashiers from the estate of A.D. McKinney. (The protected meadow across the street from our office is named after him.) It is believed that the house stands on that land; however, whether Elizabeth built the house or it had been built prior is not known. One tradition places its construction prior to the Civil War.
Twice widowed, Elizabeth married Evan F. Pell, who built a store across the street from the house. Today, it serves as the beloved Cornucopia Restaurant.
We take seriously the stewardship of this piece of Cashiers’ history. We’d love for you to visit.
Source: Historic Sites Survey – The Cashiers Historical Society