A History Close to our Hearts
In the late 1800s, Caroline Hampton (niece of Civil War General Wade Hampton III) and her husband, pioneering surgeon Dr. William Halsted, acquired the Hampton family hunting lodge, naming it High Hampton. In 1923, Sylva industrialist E. Lyndon McKee, Sr. purchased the land and converted the estate into a summer resort called High Hampton Inn.
For nearly a century, the McKee family welcomed vacationers to High Hampton. An agreement with E. Lyndon McKee, Sr.’s heirs allowed his grandchildren, A. William McKee and Ann McKee Austin — our late Founder and President and his sister, now a co-owner — to acquire a portion of the property which was developed into the highly-ranked Tom Fazio golf course community, Wade Hampton Golf Club.
In 2017, a new era of ownership began for the fabled mountain retreat. But the original vision of E. Lyndon McKee, Sr. lives on.